School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma WilksApril 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

Haught, Munsinger and Elder prepare for retirement

After the 2014-15 school year, Maize will be saying goodbye to three staff members: two teachers, Terry Munsinger and Sherry Elder, along with our district athletic and activities director Marc Haught.

Munsinger has been teaching for 34 years total, but he’s been teaching  for 19 years in Maize and plans to continue with carpentry after retiring.

The piece of advice that he would like to pass on is: “take the time to do it right the first time.”

Haught has been working in Maize for approximately 10 years. He enjoys looking back on the years that his son went to Maize, seeing him play baseball and football and getting to watch him graduate.

Haught’s words of wisdom that he’d like everyone to know are: “live in the moment. Don’t fret about the details.”

Spanish teacher, Elder, has been working in Maize since 1990-91 and has plenty of big plans for after she retires.

“I have a long list,” Elder said. “But first and foremost, I’ll visit our children in Nashville and Germany more often and give my parents more assistance.”

After teaching for this long at one school, she’s developed many fond memories.

“There have been so many things I’ve liked about Maize. But I really like to travel with the students. It’s amazing how many of them go on to teach and that’s exciting for me,” Elder said.

One of the hardest things about retiring is knowing when it is the right time. Elder explained that she was always told that she would know in her heart when it was time to retire. And now she knows.

“My parents need more care and my grandchildren need their grandmother. It’s just time,” Elder said.

Elder went on to explain that retiring from Maize High School will be very bittersweet.

Elder’s parting words are a piece of advice that she has gradually learned through the years of teaching. She said, “Not all learning takes place in the classroom. Take advantage of every chance you get to learn a new lesson. No matter where you are or how old you are, you’re never too old to learn.”