Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Leah Brown, Jessica Schrum • April 24, 2024

After earning her degree in accounting, Jessica Schrum never thought she would be teaching birth control to high school students. But that is exactly what happened when...

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024

Johanson gets stitched in Nashville

knee

So just for the record I’m not usually accident prone, but this story begs to differ.

We were on our way to Nashville for my summer mission trip for my church. We stopped in Missouri for the first night.

We were swimming at my pastor’s relative’s pool and playing water volleyball. Some kids were playing chicken which is a game I’m not very fond of. My friend Jeremy fell off of his friend and ended up kicking me in the face.

I thought I had broken my nose. I just iced it the rest of the night.

When we got back to the church we all took showers at a school across the street. Because it was a school there were only three showers for about 20 of us so most of us doubled up.

I got in the shower and my finger was gushing blood. I guess I had sliced a huge chunk of it off on my razor and not noticed. I had to attempt to wash my hair with my left hand and the help from my friend.

It was quite a sight.

The next day we drove approximately 12 hours to Nashville and arrived at the hotel around 10 pm.

We were in our rooms and I saw that one of my friends was right across the hall so I decided to play ding dong ditch, but knocking version. I ran across the hall, knocked on his door and ran back to my room to look through the peep hole.

My friend, Cameryn, decides to open the door really fast stubbing my big toe. I thought it was broke or it at least tore the nail off of it. I fell down and hit my suitcase on the way down. I knew my knee had hit my suitcase, but it just felt like a scratch. I was more worried about my toe.

All my friends were in the room and in the hallway wondering why I was on the floor. I was just laughing and complaining about my poor toe.

Jeremy informs me that I was bleeding. I looked at my toe and was trying to tell him I wasn’t bleeding.

He said, “No look you’re knee.”

So I turned over and was shocked to see the big gaping hole across my knee revealing everything inside. I was fascinated. I was laughing and trying to stop the gushing blood with the white hotel towels.

My pastors came to my room freaking out. They decided I needed stitches. I absolutely hate needles when they are for me, so therefore I was terrified.

My pastor Larry got the first aid kit and patched me up so I could make it to the hospital without bleeding everywhere in the process.

They asked if I needed to take anything with me.

I needed three things: my phone, my wallet and my chapstick. I always need chapstick at the worst times. I took a book, too, because I didn’t know how long I was going to have to wait.

We got to the emergency room and I got my hospital bracelet with my name and date of birth on it. We waited probably five minutes before they called my name.

Then the doctor came in and laid his tools on the table. He told me what each one was for because I was curious.

He mentioned I needed a numbing shot and I broke down crying because, again, I hate needles.

My knee was washed out with this clear liquid. There was so much blood. I managed to bleed through a total of four towels. Then I was stitched up like Frankenstein.

When it was all over and done, I walked out with nine stitches and a pretty awesome battle wound.