Kindergarteners explore the MCA

Students learn about differnt career paths that could be apart of their future.
Malia Taylor
Maize Elementary Kindergartener Brooklyn Bozman tries on a welding helmet while exploring the welding career. Students learned about welding safety gear.

The Kindergarten students of the Maize District learned to be the future of our community by exploring all the different careers the Maize Career Academy has to offer on April 2nd. As students explored, they learned about different career paths by doing hands-on activities and learning from high school students and people in the field.

Starting last year, the MCA started bringing elementary students from every school to come see what is possible for their future. On these visits, students learned about jobs such as construction, the police force, nursing, welding, agriculture and so much more. Dr. Lindsay King, the administrator of the MCA, has been working there for four years. King thinks it’s very important for students to get exposed to different career paths at a young age.

“We want every student to have the opportunity to have exposure and awareness to every possible career that’s out there,” King said.

When asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, the students had a wide variety of responses, including some careers that weren’t represented at the career day.

“I want to be a dancer when I grow up,” Kindergartner Harmony Harley said.

Some students were inspired to pursue careers based on the people they look up to.

“I want to be a police officer like my dad,” Kindergartner Rhyan St.Vrain said.

Students were also influenced to pursue careers based on things they enjoy.

“I want to work at McDonald’s and eat all the french fries,” Kindergartner Celia Beard said.

The Kindergarteners got to play with tools in construction, they used equipment in welding, use stethoscopes in nursing, and learned about tools a police officer uses to keep people safe.

“It’s really important to us that they do hands-on activities, so it’s not just something that they hear about but something that they know they can actually do,” King said.

The kids loved seeing all the different careers that could possibly be part of their future. 

“I’m having the best day ever,” Harmony Harley said.

. . . and all the different classes they could take once they are in high school.

“I can’t wait to go to school here,” Rhyan St. Vrain said.

“This place is so cool,” Tucker Mead said.

The teachers saw their students respond in such a positive way. 

“My favorite part about bringing the kids here is seeing their faces when they get to try something new and get to play with all the tools and stuff,” Kindergarten teacher Korissa Jacobs said. “They love it, they’re excited, they’re listening, and they’re looking forward to it. I’m so glad it’s going well.”

The MCA has gotten so much positive feedback from the community about the program. They have also gotten recognized in the Kansas Association of School Boards district showcase and also at the state level by the Kansas Department of Education. The MCA plans to continue these visits in the future so kids can continue learning and exploring careers for their future.

“I think that if you don’t know something is possible or if you haven’t thought about it or been exposed to it you don’t even know that it’s something that you can dream about and plan for,” King said.