Despite all the good uses AI could be put to, it can cause harm for artists who have their work stolen and copied by others. Many people will also claim that they are professional artists even though they do not actually use their own skills to create an artwork, instead having an algorithm do the work for them.
AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer

Maize High teacher Dan Loving has been the voice of the Eagles for more than 10 years. What started as a side interest has grown into a major passion, largely fueled by his love for the Maize community.

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to school’s athletic competitions.

“I love to just bring the energy to the events. It’s something that I’ve always wanted to do,” says Loving on his passion for sports. “When I was a high school kid, I think, if you could give me any job in the world, it would’ve been something to do with sports. I knew I wasn’t good enough to play sports so it would’ve been being an announcer or a radio play-by-play person. Or what I ended up doing for a time in my career was being a sports reporter.”

Loving’s school spirit dates back to his own high school days and seamlessly transitions into his role as a teacher.

Loving has been the public address announcer at Maize High sporting events for more than 11 years. In that time span, he has called more than 250 individual sporting events.

“School spirit, to me, is really important because I think it is something that can make the school day more enjoyable for kids. Give them something to look forward to,” he said. “It’s always been a big part of my life. I’ve always enjoyed sports and being involved, from the time I was in high school until now, and I’m trying to bring some of that same enthusiasm that I had as a student way back when to students now.”

For more than 10 years at Maize High, Loving has enjoyed announcing the same names on the field as he does in his classroom.

“I like to see what my students are doing, even students that I don’t have in class, but I see around school. It’s just a way to connect, to the kids and to the school and to the community.”

Fostering school spirit contributes significantly to the school environment, igniting students’ enthusiasm for daily attendance.

“Again, I just think it makes it a more fun environment when everybody is cheering for and working toward the same thing. It builds excitement, it builds camaraderie. It builds the school community. It makes it a better place for everybody.”