Former 259 principal Linn steps up to help out at Maize High

Former 259 principal Linn stepped up to help assist at Maize High.
Former principal Linn of 259 helping out Maize High.

Dr. Chris Botts, Maize High School principal, has been making it a positive and safe place for over ten years. He loves working at Maize High and his favorite part is all the relationships he builds with students as they grow.

“There’s a lot of things that have been rewarding, so it’s hard to narrow it down; but, I think the hindsight of it is when students, once they’ve graduated, still reach out to you and just want to stay in touch, or they invite you to their wedding or tell you when they have kids, and they’re just excited to share that with you,” Botts said.

This past year, Botts work at Maize High has been interrupted because he has been battling stage four Large Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma, also known as LCNEC, which is a rare and aggressive type of lung cancer. Botts has been taking trips to MD Anderson in Houston, Texas for check-ups.

Due to his health treatments, Botts will have to spend time away while he travels for check-ups. While Botts is out, former 259 administrator Mitch Linn has stepped up to fill in. Linn recently retired after 25 years in education and 18 years in administration.

Linn has been a principal at many different schools, such as Allison Magnet School, Wilbur Middle School, and Northwest High School. Linn says he’s had a great career and wouldn’t trade it for anything. He is excited to be helping out at Maize High and to work with all of the students and staff.

“It was the right thing to do to come here, and I will

tell you, it’s been fabulous. I love the culture and that it’s all about family, and I knew that immediately when I got here with the students and staff, and you got a great school here,” Linn said.

Linn and Botts are similar when it comes to the way they run their school. Linn is looking forward to working at Maize High because of the family-like atmosphere Botts has already created.

“My philosophy throughout my career is identical to his, and that’s family first.” Linn said.

Linn plans on continuing the positive and family-filled environment at Maize High. He loves working and being around kids, and he is already making his positive mark here.

MHS math teacher Katie Weichman worked with Linn when he was principal at Allison Magnet School.

“He is already fitting in perfectly here. He loves kids so much, and I’m really happy he’s here,” Weichman said.