KAY club host the first blood drive of the year

Maddie Neigenfind and Allie Choyce

Students recieve care from nurses during last year's blood drive. Photo by Andrea Fuhrman
Photo by Andrea Fuhrman
Students recieve care from nurses during last year’s blood drive. Photo by Andrea Fuhrman

Maize has teamed up with the American Red Cross for a blood drive Oct. 12. The drive is being hosted in the small gym during all four blocks. KAY Club has two drives a year and has been hosting them for more than six years. 

“It definitely gets our student body aware that you too can help people and make a difference,” Secretary/Treasure of KAY Club, sophomore Nicole Dowell said. “You aren’t as small as you think you are.”

After blood is donated, The American Red Cross works with various hospitals to distribute the blood 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Having donated blood on hand in hospitals can be used to save lives in situations such as car crashes, deadly weather and hospital emergency situations in operating rooms.

“There is a great need for blood, they [The American Red Cross] has all sorts of statistic on their websites,” KAY Club Sponsor, Dan Loving said, “about how often people need blood and how many lives you can save with a unit of blood, there’s a lot of good reasons to do it [donate blood].”

In order to participate in the upcoming blood drive, you must be a certain weight regarding your height, you must be 16 years of age or older, it is recommended by Nurse Dana to eat all three meals the day before, have small snacks and drink plenty of water.

All the slots available to donate blood have been filled, but if you’d like to still donate blood for this fall blood drive, you can see Dan Loving in D18 to be put on standby.