Maize falls victim to ‘Creepy clown’ prank.

Lauryn McIntyre, Reporter

A photo was posted to Snapchat with a clown seen holding a ax in front of Maize south.
A photo was posted to Snapchat with a clown seen holding an ax in front of Maize south.

Three Maize South students were suspended after pulling a ‘creepy clown’ prank.

Last night a student posted a photo to his Snapchat story of a clown holding an ax in front of Maize South High School. Three students have been identified as participants in the hoax.

A second photo has also been released with a clown outside of Maize High. Currently, there is no knowledge on whether the picture is connected to the three students.

The district commented on the hoax earlier today.

The safety of Maize USD 266 students and employees is a top priority. We are working closely with the Maize Police Department, which provides police services to our district, for added safety and security of our schools today. We already have identified three Maize USD 266 students who were part of the prank photo. We continue to actively investigate the situation and will deal with it appropriately.

As always, if you and/or your student ever see a threat posted to social media or elsewhere that makes you question the safety of our schools, please report it immediately. If it is after school hours, please report the threat to police. Please do not leave a message with one of our schools or at Maize City Hall after hours and instead report the perceived threat by calling 911. This will give law enforcement the opportunity to begin an investigation immediately.

Thank you for your diligence and cooperation in providing the safest school environment possible.

Sincerely,

Chad Higgins

Superintendent of Schools

The ‘creepy clown’ prank has become popular since a clown in South Carolina was reportedly luring children out into the woods in August. Since then 28 states have reported threatening clown sighting, according to Heavy.com.