FFA comes to Maize

Starting last year the idea of bringing Future Farmers of America to Maize was brought about by science department and people of the Pathway Program . This year students enjoy the opportunity of joining the new club.

FFA is similar to Business Professionals of America, head of guidance Lynn Brown said. Students compete in events that are agricultural-career oriented. The main objective of FFA is to expose students to agricultural careers. Although there are over 170 other school in the state of Kansas that offer FFA, Maize is the only school Sedgwick County that does.

“It’s a great idea and an awesome opportunity for students to do great things for our school,” FFA president Stylan Roberts said.

Other FFA officers include, Vice President Todd Nelson, Secretary Hanna Tice and Treasurer Mike Moody. An executive committee has been set up to help the officers as they plan activities and write an FFA constitution.

Admission dues are $15 and all students are welcome.

FFA will celebrate the chapter’s launch by holding a kickoff party from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday at Maize. At the party live music, games, food, a petting zoo and a bonfire will be presented. The party is free and open to the public.

png;base6481a43e936550c23d