Policy change for à la carte

Kiara Ehrmann and Lily McClaren

20160217_0113_edit
Freshman Jacob Quiggle uses his student ID at the à la carte. When Quiggle was interviewed he was unaware of the change in policy. Photo by Lily McClaren

Most students at Maize High mention how much they don’t like the school lunches but nothing has ever been done about it until recently. On February 8, the policy changed to where students can now use their ID or school agenda to buy food from the à la carte which is also known as the concession stand.

Students shared similar positive opinions about the new change in policy.

“I think it’s a good idea because students don’t have to bring money every day,” sophomore Nubia Martinez said. “They always have their agenda with them so they can always get snacks.”

The more wide variety of food is exactly what students are looking for. Before, students could only eat what was served in the kitchen.

“There is probably more food that kids like there [at the à la carte],” freshman Jacob Quiggle said. “Probably not as much as a variety in the actual lunch line. It’s more food that kids like.”

Since more students will be using the concession stand, this means less time and money will be spent making actual school lunch but now it will be used towards the concession stand.

“For my standpoint, it’s more work for me. I have to make more cookies every day and I got to make sure everything is stocked, I have to order more stuff,” kitchen assistant Tabitha Frankhouser said, “but I don’t really mind it so I don’t think there is really any disadvantages to it.” Frankhouser knows it will take more time but it will be worth it because more kids can get food they like even if they don’t have money with them.

A few of the students interviewed voiced their concerns about the possibility of price increase, but Frankhouser reassured us that the prices are exactly the same.