Growing up shy

February 17, 2016

Being accepted has always been important to me. Ever since I was a young child, I’ve been shy and withdrawn.

I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder called Selective Mutism when I was four. In kindergarten, I would only talk at home. I never raised my hand in class, I never looked at any of the other students and I never spoke. Sometimes, my parents would have to come into class at the end of the day to get me because I wanted to sit under the tables and stay there by myself.

One kid in my kindergarten class was willing to talk to me and the teacher always paired us up hoping to get me to talk back. After lots of time, I became more comfortable and started to talk to other students and even the teachers. As I got older, I started to talk more and make new friends. I began to overcome my anxiety and now today I even initiate conversations.

My mom also played a large role in helping out with my social issues. She would volunteer at the school and make new friends with other moms. Then, my mom started setting up times to get together with her friends, to introduce me to their kids. This allowed me to be able to spend time with different friends outside of school. Little things like getting a haircut seem so simple to the general population, but for a four-year-old filled with anxiety, it was a very torturous experience each time. Going to different restaurants sounds like fun, right? Not for me. New places created more anxiety and caused my body to freeze up.

If I had never felt accepted by any other students, I would most likely still be quiet and shy. I know firsthand what it feels like to be isolated and alone. This is why I try to accept everybody and attempt to be a good friend. You never know what hardships and difficulties another student might have gone through in their life until you go out of your way to talk to them and accept them for who they are.