Forensics wins past three tournaments

Brittany Casper, Reporter

The forensics team placed 1st in two out of their three tournaments. The season began in January and will end at the end of April.
The forensics team placed 1st in 2-3 tournaments. The season began in January and will end at the end of April.

The forensics team has placed in every tournament this season. The season began early Jan., but senior Will Mercer said that he believes that they have a chance at state this year.

“This year has been really good, we’re eyeing state for the first time in a while,” Mercer said.

The forensics team has placed first in 2-3 tournaments. Last season, two students were state finalists and placed second at state.

“Forensics gives students an opportunity to advocate for themselves,” head coach Curtis Shephard said. “They are given a time to stand and speak where someone has to listen to them. It creates outlets for expression. Aside from all of that, a student gets to be on a team and contribute to something larger than themselves and see the team be successful due to their efforts.”

Senior Sandra Carlo, who has been a part of the forensics team since her freshman year believes forensics is a great way to express yourself and meet new people.

“I think there’s a lot in my life I can attribute back to forensics, especially speaking skills, being able to just formulate my thoughts, simple things you don’t really think about,” Carlo said.

Carlo, who is also a part of the debate team, says her favorite event is called Domestic Extemp.

“For that one you have to give a different speech every round because you have to come up with it on the spot,” Carlo said. “You get asked a question 30 minutes before and you have to prep for it so for every single round of every single tournament you give a different speech.”

Mercer, who has also been on the forensics team since his freshman year, also said he thinks forensics is good way to express yourself creatively.

“Well, here’s the thing, I’m what people would call ridiculous, so I gave an informative speech about string and I spent a good 3 minutes of it yelling at my judge for understanding the different types of string,” Mercer said. “I mean it did well, but I was certainly stupid for a good seven minutes.”