Freshman, Hope Reasoner poses for picture (Photo by: Lily McClaren)
Freshman, Hope Reasoner poses for picture

Photo by: Lily McClaren

Everybody has a story: Hope Reasoner

January 14, 2016

Editor’s note: This is a series of stories that will spotlight Maize students chosen at random. The idea comes from reporter Steve Hartman’s series formerly broadcast on CBS News

The song ends and the curtains starts to close after a great show. Freshman Hope Reasoner starts to exit the stage. She’s smiling from ear to ear while multiple people tell her great job. To Reasoner, performing is one of her favorite things to do.

“I sing for show choir and I dance,” Reasoner said. “Show Choir is when you dance and sing at the same time and the one I’m in is called Flight Girls Competitive.”

Flight ICT show choir is Wichita’s competitive traveling show choir that goes to different states and cities to compete with other show choirs.

“This Friday we are going to Iowa, and hopefully we do okay,” Reasoner said.

Reasoner not only travels and performs with show choir, she also is involved with theater.

“I do theater with CYT [Christian Youth Theater] sometimes, and I actually did a school musical last semester,” Reasoner said. 

For Reasoner, she knows things don’t always go as planned with auditions.

“In 6th grade, I had an audition for a show and I had the stomach flu. My mom gave me these pills to hold me back from puking,” Reasoner said. “It was right before my audition she had to keep giving them to me and once I walked in the door, I just ‘blah’ it was the worst.”

Reasoner ended up getting the main role even after she threw up.

“I felt terrible,” Reasoner said. “We had callbacks two days later. I was like ‘No’… But I got a main role even after that so I guess it worked out.”