Red Rage increases student participation

Hannah Jurgenson, Reporter

red rage

Each week, Catch It Kansas ranks the top student section for that week. Week three Maize High was ranked sixth in the state. One thing helping with that is Red Rage, which consists of 615 people.

Each student got the opportunity to buy a membership at the beginning of the year, which was ten dollars and also came with a shirt. With the membership, a student can get into all home games free, no matter the sport.

Throughout the year, Red Rage tries to get more attendance at games by doing activities. Last Tuesday, Red Rage handed out two free tacos to each Red Rage member that attended the varsity soccer game.

“It was good we passed out a hundred tacos, so that means 50 kids were there,” club sponsor Dana Handy said.

Through these events, Handy hopes that the school pride will continue growing.

Handy, who has been the sponsor for five years, has seen a major increase in student participation over the years. Before Handy took over, there were less than a hundred members.

“Before we started Red Rage, we had never been ranked,” Handy said. “There was maybe ten people at the game, so I think that’s awesome. I think it’s just showing that kids are having fun and showing enthusiasm. Comparable to other schools, we’re right there where we should be and that didn’t used to be, so that’s exciting.”