Juniors get college day on Sept. 29

While the rest of the school will be testing, juniors are being encouraged to visit universities.

Bailey Birkholz, Reporter

On Sept. 10, a representative from Pitt State met with students during En-Cor and lunch. Photo by Nadia McLean
On Sept. 10, a representative from Pitt State met with students during En-Cor and lunch. Photo by Nadia McLean.

Juniors will not be walking the halls of Maize on Sept. 29.  Instead, they will be given an opportunity to go and experience surrounding colleges in the area.

“Juniors will have the choice of choosing to go to Wichita State University, Wichita Area Technical College, Friends University and Newman University,” college and career advocate Kelsey Vinopal said.

These colleges will be offering campus tours, admissions, sneak peaks of the classrooms and lunch on campus from most. The visit is free and transportation will be provided.

Juniors also can go to college visits on their own that day.

“This will allow juniors to get an opportunity to expose themselves to the college campuses and get a view of what it will be like,” Vinopal said.  

During the day, while the juniors are gone, seniors will take the ACT while freshmen and sophomores take the ACT Aspire. 

The ACT Aspire is a way to monitor your progress towards college, and it will be focusing on the common core state standards.

For more information on the college visits, contact Vinopal or visit www.usd266.com/campusvisits