Lady Eagles advance to state championship game

Junior HaLee Roland dribbles the ball up the court during Friday's game.
Junior HaLee Roland dribbles the ball up the court during Friday’s game.

The girls basketball team triumphed against Shawnee Mission Northwest, wining 37-27 Friday at Koch Arena and advancing to the state championship game.

The top-seeded Lady Eagles will play No. 2-seed Wichita South for the championship at 4 p.m. Saturday.

South, which has won consecutive state titles, defeated Maize in last year’s title game.

“Winning this game has been on my mind since we lost last year,” senior Daley Handy said.

“We deserve to win, because I think we are the hardest-working team in the state. I don’t want a repeat of last year to happen, so my goal is just to do everything I can for this team to not let that happen

Despite cold offense in the beginning, the girls put up a strong defensive effort and finished the first half tied 13-13.

“We matched up well with them,” junior HaLee Roland said. “I knew we’d come out on top, but I knew it was going to be a battle.”

The Eagles came out stronger offensively in the second half, outscoring SMNW 11-5 in the third quarter before putting the game away in the fourth.

Senior Keiryn Swenson led the offensive charge with 11 points and nine rebounds. Other notable players include sophomore Taylor Holmes with seven points, and senior Saige Baalman and sophomore Jacey Handy each with six points apiece.

The Lady Eagles have had to persevere on the court due to sophomore Brianna Johnson’s recent ACL injury.

“It’s definitely difficult without Bri,” Roland said. “She brings so much to our team. She’s a great defender, passer and really controls the tempo for us. However, as a new team, we found a new rotation, came together, and played for each other, including Bri.”

A win would against South would complete a perfect season for the Lady Eagles, who are 24-0 after Friday’s victory.

“To get the win tomorrow, we need to play our game,” Roland said. “What we’ve done has got us where we are now, 24-0, and there is no one who can stop us when we are playing the way we know how. Not only that but we need to come out with a lot of enthusiasm and need a great student body.  We have an opportun

ity to do something for our school and ourselves that has never happened before — a perfect season.”

Handy said effort won’t be a problem for the Lady Eagles.

“I’m expecting a battle,” Handy said. “I expect it to be a rough game with a lot of ups and downs. But overall I see us coming out on top and just playing our hearts out for each other.”

Roland said it has been a special season.

“At the start of the season,” Roland said, “Coach [Jerrod] Handy asked us why we wanted to play this year and my response was because I wanted to be a part of something great. Win or lose tomorrow, we have done something great, and I have never been more proud to be a part of this season with my family. We are teammates for life.”