Despite all the good uses AI could be put to, it can cause harm for artists who have their work stolen and copied by others. Many people will also claim that they are professional artists even though they do not actually use their own skills to create an artwork, instead having an algorithm do the work for them.
AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

Meckenstock to retire, no replacement for 2015-16 school year

Meckenstock (right) believes that after 37 years of teaching it's time for her to retire.
Meckenstock (right) believes that after 36 years of teaching it’s time for her to retire.

Librarian Marlene Meckenstock has decided to retire at the end of the school year and won’t be replaced.

“The state of Kansas has cut, mid-year, funding to public schools and so that’s caused Maize to have a deficit right now and we’re looking for any and every way that we can to prevent from going into debt,” head principal Chris Botts said.

According to Meckenstock, part of her job is to keep up to date on technology, something teachers don’t necessarily have time to do themselves. Without a librarian, teachers will lose a research specialist.

“A librarian is very important to all the schools. Not having one is a travesty, but it’s the reality. [… ] I hope at some point we’re going to be able to replace that position,” Botts said.

Rather than having a librarian, the original plan was to have one librarian travel to each of the high schools and middle schools in Maize, spending one day at each school per week.

An executive decision was made not to bring the librarian to Maize High because the demand would be so intense and with only one day at each school, very little would be accomplished.

“Librarians are important. Ideally, there are librarians at every building,” Meckenstock said. “The more familiar you get with what a librarian really does, the more you realize there is an impact on all the students.”