School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma WilksApril 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

Lady Eagles soar to 20-0 record

Senior Keiryn Swenson looks for a teammate to pass to against Newton, Friday February 28. Swenson led the team in scoring with 20 points.
Senior Keiryn Swenson looks for a teammate to pass to against Newton, Feb. 28. Swenson led the team in scoring with 20 points.

The Lady Eagles basketball team  defeated Newton on Feb. 28 to clench the league title and advance to a perfect record of 20-0.

Senior Keiryn Swenson led the offensive charge with a total of 20 points and eight rebounds with one assist. Other notable players include sophomore Brianna Johnson with nine points, senior Daley Handy with eight points and sophomore Taylor Holmes with six points.

Senior Zoe Wedman accredited the team’s success to the excellent leadership of the coaches, diligent practice and outstanding team chemistry.

“We’ve never been undefeated in league,” said Wedman. “So that was a big accomplishment in itself […] and we just have to win five games to win the state championship.”

The Lady Eagles will compete again at 7 p.m.  March 5 at Maize against Wichita West in the first sub-state game.