Technology director Mosate recommended for termination

The Maize school district’s director of technology has been recommended for termination, according to the agenda for Monday’s school board meeting.

Ramon Mosate has been on administrative leave since the FBI executed a search warrant at the Educational Support Center in November. Federal officials have not commented about the investigation other than to say they executed several search warrants.

mosateMosate was one of two ESC employees placed on administrative leave following the search, although district officials haven’t confirmed his name. His wife, Angie, a curriculum secretary, also was placed on leave, sources have said. Her name has not appeared in board documents.

Jim Cross, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom, said he can’t confirm or deny federal investigations until charges have been filed.

“There are no criminal charges in that case,” Cross said. He said federal investigations can take months.

Director of Communications Lori Buselt previously said the district was cooperating with the FBI investigation.

“The investigation is not related to students or the safety of our students or employees and is limited to the Educational Support Center,” she said in November.

In the days following the search, students and staff were required to change passwords on multiple school-related accounts.

Maize Superintendent of Schools Doug Powers said in an email today that Mosate worked for the district from August 1997 until Jan. 30. His termination is listed on the consent agenda for Monday’s board meeting along with resignations and hirings.

Powers said Clark Fichtl, who has been serving as interim director of technology, has been named as Mosate’s replacement. Fichtl worked at Maize High before moving to the Educational Support Center last school year.

Attempts to reach Mosate were unsuccessful.