Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Leah Brown, Jessica Schrum • April 24, 2024

After earning her degree in accounting, Jessica Schrum never thought she would be teaching birth control to high school students. But that is exactly what happened when...

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024

Senior linemen reflect on Sept. 2 football win, share goals

South readies at the line of scrimmage against Circle on Sept. 2. The Mavericks defeated Circle 28-7. Photo by A. Esser

by Austyn Esser

Tension was in the air Sept. 2, which marked the beginning of Friday night football games at South. Adrenaline surged through the senior linemen before the game even started; they were full of anticipation of plays to come. Prior to the game, the team huddled up to discuss how the game should go.

“[Brent] Pfiefer always says play every down like it’s your last. Play to the level you’re capable of. Play Maverick football,” defensive end Kyle Johnson, 12, said. 

The determination to win resulted in the team’s favor, with a score of 28-7 against Circle. 

“I just wanted to win. I just really wanted to beat them. That was the only thing going through my mind,” center and defensive tackle Cody Weston, 12, said.

Despite the win, the team still has goals to further improve their tactics.

“All the goals we have talked about as a team are reducing penalties and turnovers,” Johnson said. “We also talked about how we need to play strong through the whole game and whether we are winning or losing to play as strong as we can until the end.”

Defensive lineman Aaron Rudiger, 12, also feels there is room for improvement.

“We won our first game, but we still have a lot more improvements to make. Our goal is to reach State and win it,” Rudiger said.

The stakes for this first game were set to a higher level in Brian Huber’s industrial arts class that Friday during fourth block.

“In fourth block we had a competition on what the score would be, and I got it exactly right. So in the last few minutes of the game I was really hoping no one else would score because I really wanted my snickers bar,” Johnson said.

In the end Johnson got his snickers bar and the team got its first win of the season.

Taner Thurman, 12, gets water during the game on Sept. 2. The extreme temperature on Friday forced Wichita schools, including Maize, to delay kick-off by 30 minutes. Photo by A. Esser