Coach Chris Davis to leave Maize next year

Coach Chris Davis will be leaving Maize next year to begin working and coaching basketball at Campus. Davis, who is a part-time teacher here, got the opportunity to teach full time at Campus.

“Financially, it’s a good move for my wife and I,” Davis said. “That’s the biggest reason.”

With the move, Davis will have to face Maize next year in basketball because both schools are part of the Ark Valley Chisholm Trail League.

“I don’t even want to think about it,” Davis said about the game. “I told our players yesterday that I would be their fans for 18 games.”

As for the players, Davis said that there were mixed reactions.

“I told them I loved them and I appreciated everything they did for myself, my wife, and this program,” Davis said. “I couldn’t have asked for a better two years; the players are the ones that made it happen.”

Principal Chris Botts is sad to see Davis leave.

“Coach Davis is a very energetic and enthusiastic coach,” Botts said. “The unfortunate thing is we didn’t have a teaching position for him.”

Botts said that the school plans on announcing a new coach sometime next week.