School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma Wilks April 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

College preparation

Some seniors have been dead set on a college ever since they were little. Other seniors have struggled trying to find which college to attend and the right scholarships to apply for.

“The best way to check out colleges is to go and visit them and then you just have to get a feel if you like them or you don’t,” counselor Paula Bette said. “This way the students can get to know the campus, the class sizes, how the people are and what they have to offer.”

Many students visit the college that they have always wanted to attend and come to realize that it isn’t right for them.

Students are able to visit colleges throughout the year. Students can visit as many colleges as desired but Bette says that students shouldn’t visit more than one or two within nine weeks.

“You won’t really know how you’re going to like it until you are already there for a semester or so,” Bette said.

If students don’t like the college that they had originally enrolled for they are able to transfer to a college that better suits them.

Students can check for scholarships on the district’s website under the Counselor’s Corner. The counselors update the page with new scholarship opportunities.

“Students should narrow their choices down to three to five colleges and apply for scholarships,” Bette said.