Maize High choir says goodbye to seniors with their senior showcase

The annual senior showcase is the final choir show of the year and a way to feature the seniors before they graduate

Dan Loving

Maize High School Choir students perform during the 2023 Senior showcase titled “Timeless” on May 12.

Ainsley Cramer, Assistant Editor

Timeless. Maize High school’s vocal department recently put on their annual senior showcase featuring songs all having to do with time. Aside from being a choir show, the senior showcase is also a way for everyone to say farewell to the graduating seniors. 

Maize High choir teacher Doris Prater admires the hard work her students have put into this show. This year there were fewer solos, which makes for much more choreography for everyone to learn. 

It is the culmination of what students have learned, both in the past year and during the last 4 years,” Prater said. “It is so exciting to see how far they have progressed.”

One of the things that makes the senior showcase special is the slideshow that seniors put together featuring messages to their families and friends. This is Prater’s favorite part of the show. 

Prater is sad to say goodbye to her seniors this year and has appreciated the leadership and talent they have brought into the choir. 

“This senior class has a lot of talent and has been willing to share it with the group in different ways,” Prater said. “I will really miss those students who have provided excellent leadership to our choir.”

Senior Nick Biddle joined choir only this semester after being persuaded by his friends to join since he had a free class period. 

Biddle is glad he made the decision to join choir and enjoys spending everyday with them in class and getting to perform alongside them. 

“Senior showcase is the first real show I’ve ever performed at due to me only being in choir for a short time, and all of the people I love and cherish most got to perform by my side and it was such an amazing experience,” Biddle said.

Biddle’s favorite part of the show was after the seniors got to see the surprise appreciation slides made for them by their choir classmates at the end of the show. 

“My favorite part was definitely the end of the show when all of the seniors were up front crying over everyone’s appreciation slides,” Biddle said. “It was a special moment.”

Biddle encourages anyone and everyone to step out of their comfort zone and give choir a chance. He didn’t regret it at all. 

“Choir is a lot more than it seems and if you have any interest in joining at all or just want to step out of your comfort zone you should join,” Biddle said. “It is such a fun experience and one of the best things I’ve ever done.”

Emma Wilks