You Belong Here

You Belong Club promotes inclusivity for LGBTQ+ students and their allies

Cevin Montgomery, Reporter

Feeling left out for being your authentic self can be a difficult and aching experience, but for LGBTQ+ students at Maize South High School, a student-led club called You Belong Club provides a safe and welcoming space to learn, connect, and be themselves.

Maize South’s You Belong Club aims to promote inclusivity for all LGBTQ+ students and support allies for the movement. The club mainly focuses on creating a safe space and educating students on different identities.

“We have had lessons over different sexualities and genders and flags,” You Belong Club member Carley Bell said. “We’ve made cookies, we’ve had like a movie night, and a lot of the time, we just sit around and talk about things.”

The club’s educational talks cover more than just identities and their meaning. The club has also talked about inclusivity and other issues.

“We’ve done a day where we had a slideshow on different identities and what they mean and their flags,” member Dale Freund said. ”We’ve had one talking about stereotypes and stigmas, and it’s generally just informing people about different areas relating to the community. Normally after that, we have either a craft or a group activity where we just hang out.”

Despite the club’s impact, they have faced backlash from some students.

“The club as a whole has experienced backlash a little bit,” Bell said. “Our posters will get torn off the walls because people don’t like gay stuff being on the walls of the hallway. I think it probably just stems from misunderstanding deep down or learning things as you grow up that aren’t necessarily true.”

To ensure that all members feel safe and welcomed, the You Belong Club’s sponsors work to promote a supportive atmosphere.

“We try to create a space where everyone feels very safe,” sponsor Kayla Horning said. “Me and my co-sponsors try to get to know the students and make sure that unhelpful language is kind of erased from our room. Anytime we hear of dangerous situations that have happened or when kids have felt unsafe, we try to address that and just let them know that anytime, even outside of club, that they can come and interact with us. As well as that, all the students that are in the club are really open and welcoming to everyone no matter where they are on their journey.”

For many students, the You Belong Club has provided a much-needed space for connection and understanding.

“It’s kind of nice to get out there and meet more people who have gone through simar things that I have and made more friends that I can relate to and not be judged in any way, shape, or form while I’m there,”’ Bell said.

Regardless of identity or availability, anyone can join the You Belong Club and become part of their community.

“There’s no kind of age restriction, really,” Horning said. ”We don’t have a grade requirement, we have similar grades, but we can have anybody in any grade, and you don’t have to come to all of the meetings. I mean, come and go sort of as you please. And we have no fees or anything to join. We just want to have a space where students can connect with each other.”