Photo of Doris Prater conducting choir
Leaving a legacy
Alissa Ragland, Reporter/Designer • May 15, 2024

The MHS choir walked into a cathedral in Germany and got ready to sing. When they started singing, their faces lit up with joy and love for the music that they were creating....

Photo of Doris Prater conducting choir
Leaving a legacy

Governor visits Maize to push all-day kindergarden initiative

Governor Sam Brownback is asking the state legislature for an $80 increase in kindergarden funding. Photo by Brooke Johansson.
Governor Sam Brownback is asking the state legislature for an $80 million increase in kindergarden funding. Photo by Brooke Johanson.

Governor Sam Brownback spoke Tuesday at Vermillion Elementary School about his all-day kindergarden initiative. Brownback toured Vermillion’s kindergarten classrooms and Early Childhood Center before speaking to a group of students and district officials.

The governor, along with the state board of education, is asking the legislature to fund all-day kindergarden for Kansas children. It currently only funds half-day kindergarden.

Brownback said improved economic policies in Kansas put the state in a position to pay for it.

“We’re in a position to invest. I think we ought to invest in early kids,” he said. The program would cost the state $80 million over five years: Brownback’s plan is to increase kindergarden funding by $16 million each year until all-day kindergarden is fully funded.

Many school districts in the state already provide all-day kindergarden without state funding. Wichita Public Schools provides all-day kindergarden out of its own existing budget. Maize, however, charges around $2,000, superintendent Doug Powers said.

Two Kansas governors before Brownback have pushed for all-day kindergarden but their proposals did not pass. Brownback said he understands it is a tough commitment to make but called it a “key thing for us and our future.”

Vermillion principal Jeannine Pfannenstiel presented the governor with artwork created by her students. Photo by Brooke Johansson.
Vermillion principal Jeannine Pfannenstiel presented the governor with artwork created by her students. Photo by Brooke Johanson.