School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma WilksApril 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

New basketball player: ‘It’s just better at Maize High.’

2242014 128
Transfer student Cortlin Stanford will play JV until the beginning of next season.

Maize gained two new basketball players this year who used to play for Northwest

Juniors Logan Miller and Cortlin Stanford said they decided they’d rather play at Maize.

“It’s just better at Maize High,” Miller said. “The coaches, the sports, the school is just better and I like that we actually win our basketball games.”

Coach Chris Davis said both the players have made a good impression on him.

“They came in and from day one they have been accepted by the rest of the team. They are a lot of fun and fit right in,” Davis said.

Miller and Stanford both said they miss their friends at Northwest but that wasn’t enough to keep them there.

“I didn’t have a problem playing with my teammates,” Miller said. “I had problems with the coach. That’s why I transferred.”

Even though they are not allowed to play varsity until they have completed a full year at Maize, Davis believes that they will be helpful for the team in coming years.

“Without a doubt they will be key players on the team,” Davis said. “We have six seniors this year and it isn’t easy to replace those guys. I’m excited to have them and I’m glad they are here. I think they could be big components of what we do next year.”