Students win $100 from the Art Council of Wichita

Junior Chloe Cloud was just one of the students from Maize that was entered into the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. Scholastic recognizes students and allows their artwork to be seen.

“It’s basically going to state for art,” fine arts teacher Jodee Johnson said.

From Cloud’s 12 submissions six got in. From there, the Art Council of Wichita and Sedgwick County picked one of her posters called “Look Up” and she will be rewarded the $100 at the Scholastic Award Ceremony.

The poster represents a holiday called look up in the sky day.

“I actually didn’t want want to enter that one,” Cloud said. “ I really don’t like that one and that’s why I think it’s so funny it got an award.”

Senior Lauren Hadley also had a sculpture, “Cape Captivity” that was chosen by the Art Council of Wichita and Sedgwick County.

The award ceremony will be held on Sun. March 9 at the Center for the Arts Center in Wichita.

“At the ceremony they present gold keys and silver keys,” Johnson said. “Gold keys are like first place and silver keys are like second. The one’s left will get honorable mention. Also at the ceremony, some colleges award scholarships based on students artwork in the show.”Scholastic Award