Maize graduate Caleb Grill, playing in the Sweet 16, has strong bond with family

Caleb+Grill%2C+celebrating+an+NCAA+Tournament+victory%2C+is+a+key+player+on+the+Iowa+State+mens+basketball+team+that+advanced+to+the+Sweet+16.+Grill%2C+a+2019+MHS+graduate%2C+and+the+Cyclones+will+play+the+University+of+Miami+on+Friday+in+Chicago.++

Jeff Spaur, Iowa State Athletics

Caleb Grill, celebrating an NCAA Tournament victory, is a key player on the Iowa State men’s basketball team that advanced to the Sweet 16. Grill, a 2019 MHS graduate, and the Cyclones will play the University of Miami on Friday in Chicago.

Teagan Redinger, Editor

Maize graduate Caleb Grill and his Iowa State basketball team advanced to the Sweet 16 in the March Madness tournament. Grill’s family has been a big part of his college basketball success. 

Lena Grill, Caleb’s mom, and the rest of his family will be in Chicago Friday night to watch the game against Miami. She said Caleb and his brothers, MHS senior Kyle and freshman Alec, stay in contact and bond over conversations after games.

“Caleb would plan his evenings around Maize games so he could watch online,” Lena Grill said. “Kyle and Alec will travel as much as they can to see their brother play live. When they can’t, they watch on TV. There are always postgame conversations.”

Lena and her husband, MHS math teacher and basketball coach Chris, have supported all three of their sons as they all play basketball. Lena shared how Caleb’s passion for basketball from a young age has helped him become the player he is today.

“It’s been really fun to see his hard work and dedication pay off,” Grill said. “Caleb knew at a very young age that he wanted to be a Division 1 basketball player and to play in the NCAA tournament. So to see his dreams become a reality is surreal.  We are very proud of him and so happy he gets to experience this.”

Caleb doesn’t start for Iowa State but is one of the first players off the bench.

“He accepts his role,” Grill said. “We’ve always told our boys ‘it doesn’t matter what your role is, just always know everyone’s  role is an important piece of the puzzle.’”

The Grill brothers have been motivating and inspiring toward one another and have always celebrated each other’s success.

“Caleb, Kyle and Alec are not only brothers, but they are best friends,” Lena know Grill said. “They have an incredible relationship and are very supportive and encouraging of one another.”