KAY Club sends members to leadership camp

KAY Club is a student leadership organization dedicated to helping students gain real world experience and educational understanding. Students in the Maize district this year have an additional opportunity with the camp.

KAY+club+members+participate+in+group+team+building+activities+in+a+outdoor+session.+In+addition+to+educational+projects+students+also+complete+activities+to+further+their+social+skills.+

Photo courtesy of Darcy Lowry

KAY club members participate in group team building activities in a outdoor session. In addition to educational projects students also complete activities to further their social skills.

Leah Brown, Fusion Reporter

KAY Club is a student leadership organization group that has been around for 75 years. This year is Kay Club sponsor Darcie Lowry’s 10th year with the program.

“I love kay club because I get to help students make a difference”

KAY Club is open to any student without invitation and can help students gain experience with volunteering and being in a team.

“One thing I hope for is for more students to get involved,” Lowry said.

Junior Emmalyn Kohl is the president of Maize High chapter of KAY Club. Throughout the years Kohl has taken away many lessons from Kay Club and gotten important real-world and leadership experience.

A group of KAY club members works on a club project in Darcie Lowry’s room at MHS. Students work in groups to complete projects to further their education and leadership skills. Photo courtesy of Darcie Lowry

“I think KAY Club can teach someone many lessons and skills. Some of these being, one person can make a huge difference, doing something small for someone else can make their day, you can accomplish a lot more in a group, leadership is about elevating and motivating people, and work made fun, gets done” Kohl said.

Kohl had many good things to say about the club, along with many of their important projects and the difference they can make in not only the students’ lives, but the other people involved.

“A good thing about KAY Club is that we are able to make an impact in other people’s lives,” Kohl said. “For example, every year we do a service project called Rake-and-Run and during this project, we go to people’s houses and ask if we can rake their yards for free” Kohl added.

Leadership and working to “get the job done” allows KAY club to send four students to KAY Leadership Camp this summer, another important opportunity for students.

Junior Emmalyn Kohl, Emily Sprowls, and Maize High freshmen Abigail Griffin and Kaylen Blanpied were picked to go to the camp.

“I really enjoy the camp each time I get to go. It is worth every second” Kohl said.

Not only do the students value their time at the camp, but sponsors also agree that the camp offers students opportunities to grow as leaders.

“The purpose for sending the kids to the camp was because it’s been offered for almost 75 years, and it’s in Rock Springs which makes the experience more fun,” Lowry said.

Lowry mentioned that Kay Club had to do three things in order to receive that money to send those four students to the camp.

“We had to get a partnership with SAFE club for seatbelt surveys, we hosted the Christmas donuts fundraiser, as well as the Valentines fundraiser,” Lowry said. “It took leadership and simply just getting the job done” Lowry added.

Lowry said the kids who were picked to attend the camp were super appreciative and grateful for the chance they were offered.

“It always amazes me how shocked and grateful everyone is that we are doing this,” Kohl said. “Sometimes the people we serve will share some of the things that are going on in their lives and will tell us how big of an impact we have made on them, by just doing a simple service project”