Character ed takes action

Recommendations of volunteer work for Character in Action starting on August 28.
Recommendations of volunteer work for Character in Action starting on August 28. Photo by Brooke Johanson

This year’s Character Ed will receive a facelift from the usual power points and small activities to out-of-school volunteer work.

Each En-Cor will be asked to choose an organization or group to involve themselves in monthly.

The goal is for each En-Cor to spend five hours volunteering during the entire school year, although it is not required. Among the committee planning the upgrade, teacher Jenny Meirowsky feels the changes will refresh the Character Ed program.

“I’m excited because I feel the students are especially tired of the powerpoints, they’re over it, and so are the teachers,” Meirowsky said. “We have to be excited when we present the information to the students, but it’s repetitive. I’m really excited to put these character traits into action in our community.”

The committee hopes an estimated 8,000 hours of volunteer work will inspire the student body to bring Character Ed values into action.