City of Maize building an amphitheater

Isabelle Blasdel, Reporter

The upcoming project in the Maize community is the building of an amphitheater. There will be an opening ceremony in the spring of 2022.

Public works operations supervisor Ross Jensby is overseeing the construction of the amphitheater, which is being built by Dondlinger & Sons Construction on Academy Avenue.

“We plan to hold a ribbon-cutting event or opening ceremony in the spring of 2022,” Jensby said. “A specific date has not been set, but will be selected as we approach the end of construction.”

The amphitheater also includes a park that has two ponds, a skate park, a green room, terraces, art, and a splash pad.  Maize High band teacher Shelby Goss is excited to have the community come together and showcase the amazing talent Maize students have.

“I’m excited to be able to go see any shows that are hosted at the amphitheater and hopefully be able to have a few concerts of my own over there,” Goss said.

One function of the amphitheater is its use for the surrounding schools’ bands and orchestras.

“The options and ideas are endless,” Goss said.

The amphitheater is named after former Mayor Clair Donnelly who served as mayor for 14 years. He was a supporter of the building of the amphitheater. 

“We foresee this space serving as a vibrant central gathering space for the community to host a variety of events,” Jensby said.

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story misattributed a quote to Richard LaMunyon. It was Ross Jensby.