Cross country overview

Video by Andrew Percival and Landon Taylor

Teagan Redinger, Editor

This year’s state team includes seniors Zoie Ecord, Aiden Werner, Sebastian Castillo, and Eli Bothell. Juniors Abigail Grantham, Zach Johnson, and Micah Schmidt, and sophomores Alex Ayin and Caiden Unruh. 

Senior Aiden Werner says he is excited to participate at the state race and has things he is hoping to accomplish this Saturday. 

“I am most looking forward to state to see what I can run, after breaking 17 minutes at regionals,” Werner said. 

Sophomore Alex Aiyn is thankful for his teammates and their hard work and leadership through the tough start of the season. 

“I’m super proud of all my teammates this year because we had a rough start due to injuries but everyone toughed it out and we pop off every meet,” Ayin said. “I also wanna say thanks to all the seniors this year because they helped our team get stronger and helped me get better.”

Seniors Sebastian Castillo and Aiden Werner share their thoughts about how they feel about going to state this year. 

“Going to state is always exciting but kind of scary. I feel really good though since our training has been good as a team and we have just won League and Regionals to qualify here,” Castillo said.

“I feel a little weird about going to state because it is going to be my last 5k running for Maize,” Werner said. 

Castillo has high hopes for his team’s performance at this year’s state race and is confident in him and his teammates. 

I think my team is definitely in the toss up to place in the top three at state. The top three right now look strong, but I know we got one of the best teams in school history and could break people’s expectations,” Castillo said. 

Castillo anticipates results and shares his encouragement to his team in hopes to get his teammates hyped up for their race. 

“Everyone has stepped it up when it’s been most important, especially to win our last two titles,” Castillo said. “Last year, our team took 5th, and I think 5A has only gotten faster. The difference is last year we had hope, this year we have a chance.”