“The Odd Couple” to premiere on final school day of October

Photo by Suzy Garcia

Sarah McKay (11) and Maggie Hundley (11) rehearse an emotional scene in the Odd Couple. “I’m much more of a Florence in real life and I have to watch one of my closest friends bawl on stage,” said McKay.

Sarah McKay and Suzy Garcia, Contributing Reporters

The Odd Couple is a play about two men who end up living together and driving each other insane by their opposite personalities, different viewpoints and even their own cleaning habits.

However, in Maize South’s version, they add a feminist twist. Everyone is now female, which is perfect for the girl dominated drama club and cast.

After Florence Unger gets a divorce and tries to end her life, her best friend, Olive Madison takes her in. Three weeks go by and after lots of fighting and dating some Spanish neighbors (or trying to), Olive kicks Florence out. Later, Florence thanks Olive for everything she’s done and taught her and we end the play with a song.

Director and drama teacher Micaela Heinrich knew her female students were talented this school year and wanted to choose a show based on the strengths of her program.

“This show is a classic Neil Simon play that I’ve always found hilarious, and when I learned that there was a female version, I was SO excited to bring it to Maize South. We have some very strong female actresses this year, and I’ve loved working with them,” said Heinrich.

Emilie Lange, who plays Olive in the remake, was able to tap into her character fairly easy without studying much.

Graphic by Suzy Garcia

“Uhh, the accent’s fairly easy. I talk in random accents all the time so I didn’t need to practice it or anything,” Emilie Lange said.

Many new people have joined the Drama club this year. Several freshmen are playing huge parts behind the scenes building sets, costuming, hair and make-up and even lighting for the production.

“Yes, I do think I will enjoy my time here because there are so many incredible people who are always willing to help,” said freshman Taylor Catlett.

The show is double cast because there are so many ladies who auditioned. Junior Sarah McKay finds it difficult at times to stay in character with all the funny moments.

“My favorite character is Vera. She’s hilarious and quirky and both girls who play her, Lauryn and Avery are terrific. It’s hard to keep a straight face and be annoyed with her onstage because she’s just so funny,” said McKay.

The Thursday cast will be performing Oct. 28 and Oct. 30 at 7:00 p.m. The Friday cast takes their turn at 2:00 p.m. on Oct. 29 and 7:00 p.m. on the Oct. 30.

Both superstar casts are pumped for opening night and can’t wait for friends and family to see. 

“I LOVE watching my students turn a simple script into a beautiful story on the stage. The process is exciting, frustrating, hilarious- then bittersweet at the end when we wrap a show,” said Heinrich.