Maize Highs third victory of the season

Aiden+Doty+scores+on+a+17-yard+touchdown+pass+from+Avery+Johnson.+Doty+had+six+catches+for+83+yards+in+the+Eagles+54-10+victory+over+Newton.+

Aiden Doty scores on a 17-yard touchdown pass from Avery Johnson. Doty had six catches for 83 yards in the Eagles’ 54-10 victory over Newton.

Sierra Tinsley, Reporter

The Eagles had their first blowout of the season, defeating Newton 54-10 Friday.

“In this game instead of waiting until the fourth quarter to turn up the intensity, we came on the field with a high level of intensity from the beginning,” sophomore Christian Hanson said. “I think that’s why we did so well.” 

Junior wide receiver Bryce Cohoon had two receptions for two touchdowns and 142 yards.

“I think we did so well because both our offense and defense came out and performed at their best,” Cohoon said.

Junior quarterback Avery Johnson had three rushing touchdowns and three passing TDs. In addition to TD passes to Cohoon, he had one to junior Aiden Doty. Junior Daeshaun Carter rushed 16 times for 94 yards and a TD.

Maize plays Ark City on Friday at home. Ark City is 1-2 after defeating Goddard.

“I’m feeling really good about the rest of the season,” Cohoon said. “We definitely have stuff to work on, but we have the talent to be great.”