Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Leah Brown, Jessica Schrum • April 24, 2024

After earning her degree in accounting, Jessica Schrum never thought she would be teaching birth control to high school students. But that is exactly what happened when...

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges
Jessica Schrum Embraces New Challenges

New School Store
April 24, 2024
MHS Mock Trial Team
April 24, 2024

Nick Benford selected to play in Shrine Bowl

Nick Benford was selected to play in Shrine Bowl 2014.

Senior Nick Benford, defensive end, was selected from Maize to participate in the Shrine Bowl.

The Shrine Bowl has been held every July for the past 40 years and showcases 68 of the best players in the state.  The organization is a nonprofit charity that raises money for the Shriners Hospitals for Children. The game not only shows talent throughout Kansas but has also raised $2.5 million for more than 22 hospitals in the state.

“It’s just a big brawl of the best in the league to see which side is truly the best,” said Benford, who will play for the west squad.

Players have one week to practice together before the game July 26 at Carney Smith Stadium in Pittsburg. Players from western Kansas will practice in Salina, and players from the eastern side will practice in Emporia.

The game will be televised on Cox Kansas channel 22. Tickets for the game can be purchased at www.kansasshrinebowl.com.