Maize South High Principal To Retire After 36 Years In Education

Maize South’s David Hickerson announces retirement after the 2020-2021 school year to begin new chapter in his life.

Photo by Bridget Johnson

David Hickerson and David Nash discuss the upcoming changes in the school district in the Maize South hallway during EnCor. Hickerson established MavTime to give students an additional relaxed period during their day, which has been reverted back into EnCor to fit the COVID-19 precautions. Teri Larson, an English teacher at Maize South, said “Students loved it. Unfortunately, due to COVID, MavTime had to be changed back to EnCor because of social distancing.”

Piper Pinnetti, Bullseye Editor-In-Chief

After 10 years as Maize South’s head principal, David Hickerson will join his wife, Geri, in retirement from education at the end of the 2020-2021 school year.

At 1 p.m. last Wednesday, an email was sent to the staff of Maize South High announcing an impromptu meeting in the auditorium with Principal Hickerson. Around 2:10, the staff gathered in the auditorium where Hickerson announced his retirement after 36 years of working in education.

“It was a difficult decision but I’m looking forward to having more time to spend with my family which includes seven grandkids,” Hickerson said. “I plan to spend time with family, golf, travel, and relax. Looking to slow things down a bit and spend time with my family.”

Applications for the job are open until May 6, and it is uncertain when the hiring committee will announce Maize South’s next principal. The next principal will begin learning the culture and students of the school as soon as possible, and will takeover for the 2021-2022 school year.

“I wish nothing but the best for our students, teachers, and staff. MSHS is a fantastic place and full of great people,” Hickerson said. “I know I’ll come back and watch some athletic/activity events next year. I’ve been at Maize South High for 10 years and I want to see our academics, athletics, and activities continue to excel at the highest level possible.”

Dave Hickerson, principal, was pulled up on stage at the melodrama. Hickerson did not know they would chose him to go up on stage. Photo by G. Donaldson
From our photo archives, Principal Dave Hickerson dances on stage at the melodrama, Aug. 27, 2015. Hickerson performed, along with other audience members, during a chorus number in the first act. Photo by G. Donaldson.

Co-worker and English teacher Teri Larson has known Hickerson from his arrival on campus ten years ago and understands his decision to pursue other opportunities beyond his day job.

“I was not surprised about his retirement. Mr. Hickerson and I are the same age and have been in education for a long time,” Larson said. “When educators are able to retire, they talk about the next chapter in their lives. I believe Mr. Hickerson has lots of ideas on how to spend his next chapter including his seven grandkids, his wife who is also retiring, and older parents who need his help.”

Hickerson has no concerns that Maize South High will receive plenty of great applicants for the principal job to bring consistency and a calm atmosphere to Maize South moving forward.

“I’m not sure if it will effect it to a large extend, MSHS is a great school and Maize is a fantastic district. I’m sure the position will attract some quality candidates,” Hickerson said.

In addition to Hickerson’s departure, Dr. Kristy Custer also resigned as the principal at Complete High School within the last week.

“I am happy and sad for my friend Dr. Kristy Custer,” Maize High Principal Chris Botts said. “She and her colleague Dr. Russell are leaving CHSM to take on a new adventure with writing curriculum for the High School E-Sports League. Her leadership will be greatly missed, best wishes.”