No Changes Expected For High School Students In USD 266 For Term 2

USD 266 Board of Education met this past Monday for dialogue about possible changes to the Hybrid learning model for all three levels of schools within the district.

Marvin Cao, Bullseye Staff Reporter

The USD 266 board of education held a special meeting recently to discuss and consider possible changes for the district’s learning models in the second quarter of the school year. 

On October 26 at 8 p.m., the board voted on two motions; to authorize the superintendent, Chad Higgins, to modify the reopening plan to discontinue remote learning Wednesdays for the elementary schools beginning in the second quarter.

Higgins was also given permission from the committee to modify the reopening plan to allow sixth-graders to attend school four days per week, beginning in the second quarter: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Wednesday would continue to be a remote day for seventh grade through twelfth grade.

Everybody wants to go back to school. Everybody wants to go back on vacation. Everybody wants to have a normal life, but that’s not where we live.

— Kate Doerksen

Higgins also spent time with discussing remote Wednesdays, which are pivotal for teachers and students to catch up on planning, work and small group meetings to increase proficiency in the class.

“The remote learning Wednesday has been a big, a big topic, really a big challenge for us, whether or not we transition away from it or maintain it,” Higgins said. “The teacher survey data; elementary teachers are pretty split on getting rid of for what learning Wednesday, but also keeping it.”

Maize South counselor Adam Melichar is content with the current Hybrid system that will continue into the second quarter for Maize South High School.

“Wednesday is a flexible remote day,” said Melichar. “It helps a lot of teachers in the term of planning and grading and meeting kids who need extra help.”

Some students prefer to be in school most of the time while others prefer the hybrid or online. Junior Taben Armstrong the current model is just right for high school and teenagers.

“I like it,” Armstrong said. “I think this (Hybrid system) should be a permanent thing.”

While he supports staying consistent for next quarter, he would like to see the overall workload for students decrease between now and November 9.

“I would want the teachers to not assign so much work,” Armstrong said. “I know there’s a required amount (of work) they’re supposed to give but I feel like it’s going a bit overboard on it.”

As each board members expressed their concerns and suggestions during the meeting, one of the members, Farris Jibril, kept the students’ best interests in mind when voicing his opinion.

“You know, if, if I’m sitting here just saying out loud, what is best for our kids? What’s best for our kids is to be in school,” Jibril said.