Keeping Away From The Crowd

With the school year coming to an official close after the online learning experiment, district officials will adjust in-person learning based on the protocol of local and state guidelines.

Photo by Piper Pinnetti

Students gather for an assembly during the first pep assembly of the school year in fall 2019. Many large student gatherings will be put into question due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tyler Trice, Bullseye Web Editor

With social distancing becoming as normal as brushing your teeth in the morning, there is much uncertainty for the USD 266 district heading into the 2020-2021 school year.

Whether or not we go back to school next year the same as we always have may carry serious health risks and new safety measures will be enforced to keep the 1,200 teenagers and adults at Maize South safe within the building.

Assistant principal Dave Nash believes that Maize South will stick to the plan given by Gov. Kelly and adjust as we get closer to the new school year.

“The USD 266 is following (and will continue to follow) KDHE and CDC guidelines along with KS Gov. Kelly recommendations for the ending of this school year as well as the beginning of 2020-2021 school year,” said David Nash, vice principal of Maize South.

Assistant coach Robyn Jaso leads the girls volleyball team through a routine scrimmage during an early practice in September of 2019. Fall sports routinely bring in hundreds from the Maize South community to the school grounds for athletic competitions. (Photo by Tyler Trice)

The schools are taking necessary precautions to better our current situation and prepare for next year to go on as usual. Maize South nurse Katy Carter wasn’t able to give a definitive answer and knows the situation calls for flexibility from our students and faculty.

“There is much that we don’t know yet about the COVID-19 virus. I wish I could be specific with you. However, what we are asking is not yet known, not yet determined, not yet decided, and has not been communicated,” said Nurse Carter, “Much is not humanly possible to know right now.”

Many events such as the carnival before the beginning of the school year and even fall sports with large gatherings are uncertain. Superintendent Chad Higgins is putting all options on the table when evaluating the type of learning students can expect in a few months.

“We are currently drafting a number of potential plans to address as many variables that could exist next fall,” said Superintendent Chad Higgins, “We will continue to develop these plans but it is far too early to produce anything formal as we wait for formal guidance from state and local officials.”