Bullseye Staff Grabs Top Honor For News Website At 2020 KSPA State Contest

The website is one of only four student news websites in Kansas to grab the prestigious All-Kansas award through the Kansas Scholastic Press Association.

The+new+Bullseye+online+launched+in+the+September+2019.+The+website+has+already+received+over+10%2C000+views+from+the+Maize+South+community+and+students.+

The new Bullseye online launched in the September 2019. The website has already received over 10,000 views from the Maize South community and students.

Bullseye staff

On Saturday, May 2, the Bullseye online (www.mshsbullseye.com) was given the highest award in Kansas to a student created news website by the Kansas Scholastic Press Association group.

By winning an All-Kansas award for the website, student journalists of Maize South achieved one of their team goals for the 2019-2020 school year and solidified the Bullseye Online as a premiere source of students news and content online for the community of Maize South High School.

The Bullseye website features news, features, sports, Q&A segment and the video work of The OneMa1ze Broadcasting students of both Maize High and Maize South. For the spring semester, only four students were on the staff to work on the website and increased page views by over 10%.

Editor-in-Chief Piper Pinnetti knows the hard work and dedication that went into creating the Bullseye Online over the past few months and appreciates the work of her small staff.

“We worked hard these past months, and I’m so proud of our amazing staff that we were given this award,” Pinnetti said. “This award means we can write great stories and switch things up with info graphics and photos. Next school year, this means we’re trying new things and introducing new staff to different skills.”

Junior Tyler Trice, who carries the Web Editor designation on staff, feels great about winning this award for Maize South.

“It feels good. To know that your work has been recognized, and that your team’s efforts on the site have been rewarded,” Trice said. “It means a lot to get this award having only been in the class one year, as well as only having four active staff members to work on it.”

While humbled by the news, first year adviser Spencer O’Daniel knows the team and publication isn’t even close to their full potential yet.

“We created this website only eight months ago, so to win an honor like this, it’s really something special. Right now, we only have three kids on staff finishing the year, which could be much better,” O’Daniel said. “Next year, we want to improve our total numbers on staff, build a more robust print presence with the Bullseye newsmagazine and have our student journalists place in individual contests at state. But I don’t want to take anything away from the team we have right now-they are simply phenomenal for what they have accomplished in year one.”