Varsity baseball loses against Maize High

+Josh+Goodale%2C+10%2C+runs+to+home+base+in+the+game+against+Topeka+West.+South+won+6-1.+Photo+by+J.+Vo
Josh Goodale, 10, runs to home base in the game against Topeka West. South won 6-1. Photo by J. Vo

BY JENNY VO & KAYLYN FISCHER

The South boys baseball team played their last games of the season. a qualifying game for state. They competed against Topeka West and Maize High. The first game South won 6-1 and the second game resulted in a loss for the Mavericks with a score of 5-3.

“It sucks to have the season end as always but I’m excited for what we got going for next year too,” Colin Shields, 9, said.

Despite the loss, most players were happy with how this season went.

“[I] was a little disappointed at how we played, but over all the season was good,” Dakota Harding, 10, said.

Monday’s game was the last the seniors got to play. Although the team is losing talented players, they are optimistic for next year.

“It was kind of sad seeing all the seniors on the field for the last time,” Shields said. “But when you look at it we’ve got some great pitchers and people returning so I think we’ll rebound pretty well from that.”

Team members practiced hard during the season and are planning to practice on their own during the off season.

“I was disappointed by the loss but I was looking forward to next season,” Alex Epp, 11 said. “Hopefully we can make it back to state. I’m going to get in the weight room and work hard over the off season”

Although the team did not win, Chad Christensen, baseball, reminded his team that nothing comes easy when it comes to the things they are passionate about.

One piece of advice I’d give to the team is to always come prepared, nothing is given in the game of baseball or life,” Christensen said. “You have to want to be a grinder in a game of failure.”

051618 BAseball edit JV