Tri-County sports get recognized for their accomplishments

Elijah Oliver, 10, dribbles the basketball. Tri-county held an award ceremony for each of their athletes. Photo by L. Severe

BY ERIN FORD & LIZZY SEVERE

On  Apr. 1, pep members, soccer players and basketball players were invited to a ceremony that celebrated their achievements for the 2017-2018 school year. Certificates, sports medals and letters were distributed to these members.

Each person who went to the banquet received some type of an award for their participation and determination during the sport season. Multiple medals were handed out

“Getting my medals was my favorite thing about the banquet,” Kinley Hower, 12, said.

Every player or pep member walked across the stage when their name was called. How many years they played and what sports they played was also announced. Parents and friends cheered on their players and took pictures.

“I did pep club to get medals and I would rather do pep than basketball because I could get hurt playing it,” Bailey Vestering, 9, said.

For some, this season was the first time they played or cheered but for many they have been on the teams throughout all of high school. The main reason students decided to join was so they would be able to spend time with their friends and come together as a team.

“I have been doing this since freshman year and have played sports for a long time because it’s something I like to do,” Kara Miller, 12, said.

Making sure everyone was involved, whether that was shooting a basket or leading a cheer, was very important to the team. It was also important that the Tri-County team was nice to the opposing teams and showed them respect.

“My favorite thing about the season is that everyone works together to show team sportsmanship,” Miller said.

No matter how long students have been members, each one has made memories they will always remember and cherish. The memories they have created have made them closer with everyone who plays a part in the activities.

“The best part of the season was when my friend made me a sign and Coach Pfeiffer brought it to the game to cheer me on,” Caroline Dunkelberger, 11, said.

The Tri-County team had several home games in soccer and basketball and they were the highlight of the seasons. Having South students cheering on the athletes made them feel excited, happy and proud.

“Getting cheered on was my favorite thing about the basketball and soccer season,” Logan Potter, 11, said.

The 2017-2018 Tri-County sports season was entertaining and successful. Getting to play as a team and being supported by South was something the seniors will always remember.