School spirit fuels long-time Maize announcer
Hailey Blurton, Ava Doyle, Areyonna Hoover, and Emma WilksApril 18, 2024

In showcasing school spirit, attending social events and rallying support for peers are key components. Media instructor Dan Loving exemplifies this by lending his voice to...

Forensics takes on another competition

Christian Higras, 9, practicing his act for forensics. South’s forensics recently won the tournament at Eisenhower. Photo by E. Lim

BY KOLBY DEHOFF & ERIN FORD

At forensics’ tournament at Eisenhower this weekend, the team took first place overall. Many of South students placed in one or more events. The following placed at the Mar. 3 tournament: Ethan Cox, 11,  Joanna Erickson, 11, Sam Harder, 11, Christian Higares, 9, Emilio Lim, 9, Kimiya Monfared, 12, and Tristan Wilson, 10.

Many of these students have been involved in Forensics for awhile and have enjoyed being a part of the team every single year of their time at South.

“I have been apart of forensics all of high school so far, so this is my third year,” Harder said. “I am looking forward to what the rest of the season brings.”

Most students who participate in this activity enjoy it because they like to have their voice heard and so they can speak out for what they think. They can choose what kind of piece they would like to perform and the audience gets to see their interpretation of it.

“I like how you are told how to speak out for what you believe in and usually in school you are told to sit down and be quiet but in forensics you get to stand up and speak out,” Erickson said.

There is a wide range of events students can choose from but sometimes there is a limit of how many they can perform at each tournament. The forensics teacher does what he can to help prepare them for each tournament and gives them advice as students work on their different pieces.

“Typically at each tournament, you can compete in two or three events; however, it usually depends on what the tournament director specifies,” Wesley Rice, theatre, said. “Students really like to bring as many events as they possibly can so they have more chances of winnings in those different events. For state, the limit is two events.”

No matter how well each student does, they always have a fun time being together and they look forward to every tournament that is available to them. Their next tournament is Mar. 6 at Northwest High School.

Christian Higras, 9, practicing his act for forensics. South's forensics recently won the tournament at Eisenhower. Photo by E. Lim