Through a break comes bravery

Jayson+West%2C+12%2C+is+warmed+up+for+his+match.+He+is+moments+away+from+the+start.+
Jayson West, 12, is warmed up for his match. He is moments away from the start.

BY ERIN FORD & SEAN MALEY

Jayson West, 12, is an active wrestler at South who has won many won matches, including qualifying for State wrestling in 2017 and placing in many different events. In recent events, West suffered an injury that broke his chances from attending state. Although he cannot wrestle anymore, he is still admired for his other winnings and his personality.

“He is a really nice kid, extremely hard working, and a great wrestler,” Macy Titus, 11, said, “Jayson is very helpful to people and he is a good person to be around.”

West’s coach, Matt Kerr, history, and team members have watched him become a better wrestler during every tournament. His amazing accomplishments will still be remembered even after his graduation.

“Jayson had a pretty good chance of winning state because he was right there with everybody and even the matches he lost, he beat the [opponents] other times,” Kerr said.

West has spent his life involved in wrestling, and although he cannot wrestle in high school anymore and does not plan to continue in college, he has other interests.

“I have been involved in golf and football but stopped doing those sophomore year to focus on wrestling,” West said, “I do not plan to do any sports in college, I will probably just go to school and finish my classes.”

West has made the wrestling team even more successful with his many achievements and the team has definitely learned many things from watching him wrestle.  

“I got 4th place freshman year, sophomore year I did not place, and I won state last year,” West said.

Wrestling can be an extremely risky and dangerous sport, so coaches sometimes try and communicate with their wrestlers to lower their anxiety about potential injuries.

“A situation like this can be devastating to more than just Jayson so I try and make sure everyone understands that there may not be tomorrow,” Kerr said, “I want to make sure during every practice and match that they give everything they have and wrestle for anyone who cannot wrestle or cannot go to tournaments.”

Even though West cannot receive any more awards for wrestling, his teammates and himself remember his previous winnings.

“Jayson is our first to go to state so I would say he is a pretty great wrestler,” Titus said.

West has learned many things not just from his injury, but from his years of wrestling with a team.

“I have never been apart of a team, or even a group of people, that has been apart of my life for this long,” West said, “It’s not a lesson, but I wouldn’t give them up for anything.”

Students and team members have watched him improve in so many different ways as a wrestler and many people know how hardworking he is, so he not giving up.

“People do not realize how much more this injury affects my day to day life than wrestling.” West said. “My injury of course affects my athletics, but it is even more difficult to do things like brushing my teeth, eating, and writing because it is my dominant arm.”

West has made history at South and his legacy has been receptive to students all over. His talent in athletics will not be forgotten as he ventures out of high school. His heart and drive for the things he loves will continue forward and his support for his teammates will not be altered. Though he might have left the team, he will never leave the family.