Parking Lot Angst
Julianne Tanksley, Designer/Reporter • May 20, 2024
The students have spoken! From broken rules and seatbelt counts to outrageous accounts of bad driving, reporter Julianne Tanksley investigates the causes of common annoyances, as well as exactly what the students would change about it. Follow along to see the solution to these driving don'ts!
Truth Or Fake News
May 19, 2024
Parking Lot Angst
Truth Or Fake News
May 19, 2024

Organization and essentials: how students keep themselves prepared for the school year

A group of students headed towards the front of the building after the final bell. Students each carrying their backpacks and other personal items. Photo by N. Bliss

BY KILEY ANGLE & NATALIE BLISS

When it comes to back to school, students need their essentials, whether it be a specific backpack or specific supplies the student needs every year. High school is  a time to find those essentials.

“I always have to have lip balm, my agenda, 0.5ml pencil lead and my headphones with me at all times,”  Lauryn Chavez, 12, said. “I don’t have to have specific brands, but I do love certain products that only certain brands have.”

From elementary school to middle school, the supplies greatly change. In elementary school your supply list is sent out by the school before the year begins. Taking the next step into middle school helps students find their individuality through their supplies while having some teacher requests.

“I would ask around from my group of friends in middle school,” Lauren Christian, 9, said. “I would reuse specific supplies from the years before.”

Reusing school supplies saves money as well as time. Staying organized is a great way to earn good grades and keep yourself focused on the school year. Some students have different methods and know where their stuff is even without intense organization.

“I have different binders for each class, but other than that, I just throw everything in my bag.” Farhan Chowdhury, 10, said.

Students typically carry binders, books, notebooks, writing utensils. The choice of using a locker is given to the students but, some prefer to keep everything with them at once.

“I just keep everything in my backpack,” Eric Lauffer, 11, said. “I honestly don’t know where my locker is. I keep things all over the place.”

Whether students keep their supplies in lockers or in backpacks, they have different ideas and methods to keep themselves organized. Each person has their own idea of essentials for the school year so every person has a different system.