Students debate need for stoplight at 37th and Tyler

Students took a poll on whether there should be a stoplight at 37th and Tyler.

BY BRIANNA JONES-RUPP, GARRETT TIBBITS & NADIA HERNANDEZ

The intersection at 37th and Tyler has been known for having a lot of accidents. After school, students from South try to leave and many are trying to get home fast or go to their jobs. This need for speed leads to crashes or students witnessing a crash and backing up the traffic even more.

Students who walk home or ride their bikes and cross 37th and Tyler and it can be dangerous when they don’t know when to cross.

“Yes, I completely think that there should be a stoplight at 37th and Tyler,” Joshua Goodale, 10, said. “Because it will help the flow of traffic and when I leave school I have to wait and sit in line for a really long time. Like sometimes I know I’m just going to have to wait so I just stay in the school until the line goes down. And it will reduce the risk of accident at the stop.”

The intersection belongs to City of Wichita but Officer Wiggins, school resource officer, said, and he has dealt with two car wrecks this year.

“I think there should be a stoplight there,” Wiggins said. “The traffic is bad there and there are a lot of pedestrians.”