Despite all the good uses AI could be put to, it can cause harm for artists who have their work stolen and copied by others. Many people will also claim that they are professional artists even though they do not actually use their own skills to create an artwork, instead having an algorithm do the work for them.
AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

Expansion not meeting expectation

Sean Maley
Students in the lunch room during an active shooter situation are suggested to run out of the building through the closest possible exits.

BY SEAN MALEY, NATALIE BLISS, & ERIN FORD

The increase of students in a particular lunch period has resulted in students sitting on the floors, this is due to the lunchroom being at near maximum capacity of students.

The current situation in the lunchroom overwhelms some students because they fear being away from their friends or having to find new people to sit with, which forces them to the floor.

“I think they should distribute the classes better, so that whatever lunch has fewer kids needs to be more filled up or change how the classes are broken up for lunch.” Ethan Pike, 12, said.

While it seems full, the space is not yet to capacity. Although the number of students comes close to fire code, there are still some tables that are not completely full. C lunch, the schools final lunch period, is the closest to capacity.

“The lunchroom holds 318 people and C lunch has 311 kids. Some of the kids that sit on the floor are there because they can’t sit with the rest of their friends.” Dave Nash, Assistant Principal, said.

South has previously expanded the lunchroom once before, but some students question why they cannot eat in other areas of the building.

“Yes, because the people who are forced to sit on the ground still don’t find open tables, we could let students go into other classrooms,” Maddox Shunatona, 9, said. “Which would open up more seats.”

Not only would expanding the areas they could eat provide seating it would also offer convince for the kids who arrive late.

“I would want to eat in my next hour so I could just be there for the next class.” Aiden McDonald, 9, said.

When it comes down to convince, space, and efficiency, expanding lunch options would benefit students in ways more than a crowded lunch line.

Student settling in during lunch. Getting lead out of class early is a bonus when heading to an over crowded lunch room. Photo by E. Ford