Donations help South storm into action

Students cheer on South’s football team during the first home game. The student section participated in the second miracle minute during half time. Photo by T. Pokorski

BY OLIVIA BLANFORD & KINSINGTON STUCKY

Hurricane Harvey ripped through the state of Texas starting on Aug. 25. During the nine-day storm that stretched across the Gulf of Mexico, Harvey left its mark on the state causing approximately an estimated $30-$40 billion dollars in damages.

Rather than stepping back and watching the tragedy unfold, Abby Easum, 11, took action.

“I really wish I could be down in Texas helping out people that don’t deserve to be suffering the way they are,” Easum said.

Easum talked to Mark Bradshaw, CACOW sponsor, to set up what she called a Miracle Minute. A Miracle Minute is a minute set aside at an event to give people the opportunity to donate to a cause that is important to South’s student body.

The first Miracle Minute took place at South’s home football game on Sept. 8 during halftime. The minute of fundraising raised a substantial amount of money.

“We raised $418 in school donations and $347 at the Miracle Minute,” Easum said. “Plus [we still have] two big zip lock bags of change that we have yet to count.”

Her personal goal for the outcome of the Miracle Minute was somewhere around $500 in total. The surprising participation helped South achieve their goal and exceed it.     

Students cheer on South's football team during the first home game. The student section participated in the second miracle minute during half time. Photo by T. Pokorski

Students cheer on South’s football team during the game against MacPherson on Sept. 8. The student section participated in the Miracle Minute during half time. Photo by T. Pokorski