Photograph of Mrs. Chapeks Safe Zone poster.
Maize High’s GSA
Elsa Dobbs, writer & designer • May 10, 2024

GSA, which stands for “Gay-Straight Alliance” or “Gender-Sexuality Alliance,” is an organization of clubs based in schools across the U.S. and Canada, focused on supporting...

We are OneMaize
We are OneMaize
May 7, 2024
Maize High’s GSA

We are OneMaize
We are OneMaize
May 7, 2024

Marching Band prepares for upcoming performances

Hunter Beckmann, 9, Michael Le, 11, Joe Sheubert, 10, Brendon Gassman, 12, Josh Yarrow, 12, and Keaton Donaghue, 10. Photo by G. Bowman
    Michael Le, 11, Hunter Beckmann, 9, Joe Sheubert, 10, Brendon Gassman, 12, Josh Yarrow, 12, and Keaton Donaghue, 10, practice their first set during first block. “The hardest part of marching band is learning the new steps.” said Beckmann. Photo by G Bowman.

BY SYDNEY EPKE

On Aug. 30, the Marching Band students march in unison in preparation for their first performance set for halftime on Sept. 8.

Marching Band holds outdoor rehearsals every day during first block, and the occasional indoor rehearsal every Monday. Rehearsals include marching in a block to the football field and running through different sets that Grant Whitcomb, band, thinks that need improvement. Many students in the Marching Band practice their technique and music at home.

“At home I practice every other day,” Hunter Beckmann, 9, said. “When I practice technique, [it is for] 45 minutes and [when] playing, [it is for] 30 minutes.”