Setting the bar high

Ana Warren, 12, signs to Friends University on Feb. 15, “Friends University will seem a lot bigger but that gives me more people to make friends with.” Warren said. Photo by R. McClurg

BY RACHEL MCCLURG AND KILEY ANGLE

Moving from a 4A Kansas high school to either an out of state, in town or even a college a couple hours away. South’s women’s soccer team has had members commit to major Kansas and surrounding area colleges.

“I get kind of nervous thinking about going from a 4A to a D2 college,” Kailey Corr, 12, said. “I think it’ll be a huge change.”

The Lady Mavs have had seven out of nine seniors sign or are going to sign to play for a college. Not only changing how they will play senior year but how they will continue to play throughout their college careers.

“There will be a lot more fitness with the college team, plus we practice all year round instead of just one season,” Ana Warren, 12, said.

With moving to the next level of play, coaches will strive to encourage the girls to push themselves. This will apply to not only their last high school season, but for the upcoming season in college as well.

“I’m sure the seniors at Friends will help me adapt,” Warren said. “I expect college to push me to work harder and get better.”

With majority of the senior class signing, South has high expectations for the upcoming soccer season.

“Now that I know my future plans, I’m going to strive for the best because this is my last year,” Corr said.

The following seniors have committed to college play: Hayden Burnett, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Avery Green, K-State, Ana Warren, Friends University, Mariah Moore, University of Central Oklahoma, Kailey Corr, Emporia State, Saige Peebler and Paige Ledesma, Washburn University.

Ana Warren, 12, signs to Friends University on Feb. 15. “Friends University will seem a lot bigger but that gives me more people to make friends with,” Warren said. Photo by R. McClurg