Despite all the good uses AI could be put to, it can cause harm for artists who have their work stolen and copied by others. Many people will also claim that they are professional artists even though they do not actually use their own skills to create an artwork, instead having an algorithm do the work for them.
AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

AI harms artists, steals their work
May 1, 2024

ECC and Spreadsheet Database class formulate stories

Zak Hassouneh, 11, works with an ECC student to create a silly story. The class planned to work again wtih the ECC students. Photo by LeAnne Bryant

by Dale Small

The Early Childhood Center and LeAnne Bryant’s Spreadsheet and Database class got together Nov. 3 to formulate some silly stories. The students of Bryant’s class used Microsoft Excel to create Mad Libs, through the usage of formulas in the program.

The stories are individual to each child from ECC assigned to a student. The student would ask the child a question as you would while doing a Mad Lib. Such as, “What is your favorite color?” or “What is your favorite superhero?” And using the formulas on Excel, it would create a story.

“I had a lot fun being able to help the kids create their stories.” Addie Hermanson, 10, said.

The stories featured each child as the main character. With stories from racing a Disney character in a car, an adventure with a superhero, and many other similar stories that children would enjoy.
“The kids had fun, and it brought some smiles to their faces,” Zach Hassouneh, 11, said.

While the students helped the children create their stories, they also taught them a basic understanding of how the formulas worked in order to create the children’s’ individual stories.

“It was a fun project for my students, and it gave them a good opportunity to interact in a positive way with the kids for ECC,” Bryant said.

Addie Hermanson, 10, helps her ECC pal fill in blanks for the Mad Lib. LeAnne Bryant's class worked with the ECC student on Nov. 3. Photo by LeAnne Bryant