Grant application deadline extended

Lincoln DeBok works with his first beehive funded by the enrichment grant he was given.

Courtesy photo

Brooklynn White

The Maize Education Foundation is accepting applications from students in grades seven through 12 for Student Enrichment Grants until Wednesday, Mar. 10, at 4:30p.m. 

Students can apply for a grant up to $500 to help pay for the costs that come with enrichment and educational activities like leadership seminars, science expeditions, national competitions, independent study projects and more. There is a limit of one grant per student each school year. 

“In the 2019-20 school year, the foundation awarded nearly $10,000 in Student Enrichment Grants for experiences such as JEA/NEA National High School Journalism Convention, Blackbird Academy Summer Recording Camp, KAY Leadership Camp, Gonzaga Debate Institute and Beekeeping,” Travis Bloom said, Executive Director for USD 266.

Even though many activities have been postponed or virtual this year, the foundation is still encouraging students to explore their passions, learn about new careers, build leadership skills and discover their own ways to make an impact on the world. 

“Much will certainly be up in the air for many of the usual student activities,” Bloom said. “But we encourage students to apply, and to especially think outside of the box for different activities and independent projects that might qualify.” 

The foundation supports students who take opportunities that encourage them to find their own passions and to explore their communities’ possibilities.